Saturday 16 April 2011

A Zigging, Zagging Pattern for YOU!

Since my last update, dear viewers, I have begun my very first lacework project! It's only a very simple pattern but I'm practicing hard so I can incorporate the stitch into my later works. I like the way it looks like a controlled, deliberate ladder.
In addition to this, I finally finished my pink and grey angora scarf, with wormies. It took forever because it was knitted on 4mm needles and is quite wide, but here it is!
Now, if you're thinking 'Oh, that scarf is hella fine and I sure do want a piece of that zig zag action myself' then YOU CAN! I'm going to give you the pattern, without my special secret wormies.
Ready yourselves with two contrasting wools of the same thickness, and the needles of the recommended size. For my demonstration, I used DK and 5mm needles.
My YELLOW wool is COLOUR A
My GREEN wool is COLOUR B
RIGHT SIDE (RS) means COLOUR A ON THE RIGHT
WRONG SIDE (WS) means COLOUR A ON THE LEFT
The whole is knitted in garter stitch.
Let's begin! Cast on your desired number of stitches-anything between 20 and 40 is a good scarf width-using COLOUR A.
1-Knit one row with colour A
*2-Knit one stitch with A and B together (see pic). Move long tail of B to front of work (this will mean it's on the correct side when you get back to it).

Continue knitting with colour A to end of row.
3-Knit with colour A until the stitch BEFORE the two-stranded stitch. Knit this stitch with both strands, as in pic.
Move long tail of colour A to front of work and knit last stitch with colour B.
4-Knit 2 sts colour B, 3rd stitch A and B, B to front, A to end
Continue so that on the RS you use both strands on the stitch before the previous bi-stranded stitch, and on the WS you use both strands on the stitch after the previous bi-stranded stitch.
Colour B will slowly take up all your stitches, making your work look akin to this:

Soon, you will find that colour B has moved all the way across your work and the last stitch has become the bi-stranded one. On the next row, simply knit the bi-strander with colour A, the next with both colours, move A to the front and knit B to end.

Then, on RS, knit both strands on the stitch after the previous bi-stranded stitch and on WS knit both strands on the stitch before the the previous bi-stranded stitch.*
Repeat from *-* until length desired and cast off using only one colour.
Looking good, my friend. Show me pictures, or leave a comment if my instructions make no sense. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment